Chapter Forty

Daniel stood rooted in place, out of sight of Sophie's front stoop, where he could hear every word being exchanged by Peter and Sophie.

Oh god, his heart ached to hear the anguish in her words, the strain of her voice, but he knew she had to let it out, had to tell Peter off for good in order to be free of him.

He felt like letting out a victory whoop as she continued to rake him over the coals, giving him a piece of her very angry mind.

Whatever this fucker had done to her, he deserved to accept the brunt of her anger now, Daniel thought.

He wasn't sure what his role should be, though. Does he go stand beside her? Protect her?

Or does he let her stand on her own?

Daniel leaned his head back against the barn door, thudding his head against the solid wood a few times, debating.

As soon as he heard Sophie's terror filled words, though, he exploded into a run – heading straight for her.

"DON’T YOU FUCKING TOUCH ME!"

**

Sophie felt like she'd run a marathon, she was breathing so hard and was so full of adrenaline as she looked at Peter, who was glaring back at her equally.

His hands were like vice clamps on her arms as he roughly pulled her against him, their faces mere inches apart.

"Don't you talk to me that way, bitch," Peter hissed, and Sophie wanted to laugh out loud.

Finally, after all the charades, the real Peter had surfaced – the one she knew had lurked just below the surface for all the years they were together.

This was the Peter no one saw.

"Let. Go. Of. Me," Sophie spat, pushing at his chest and making no progress in breaking free of his clutches.

"Sophie, please…" Peter panted, struggling to hold her in his grasp until she finally managed to pull herself backwards, her robe flying open, exposing her revealing nightie underneath. "Wow," Peter said, a dark, frightening look in his eyes. "Seducing the milkman are you? What kind of slut would wear that?"

Sophie's chin tilted up in indignation. "Not the milkman, you fuck. I'm wearing it for my BOYFRIEND. Yeah, one that doesn't try to change me, and sure as hell doesn't STIFLE me, SMOTHER me like you did!" Sophie tugged the robe closed, and Peter made another grab for her before being pulled backwards roughly, letting out a squeak.

"You heard the lady," Daniel hissed in Peter's ear as he pinned both Peter's arms behind his back. "She doesn't want to be touched," Daniel said, and then paused before continuing. "At least, not by you, mate."

Sophie's face drained of colour as she saw Daniel grab and pull Peter away from her, his face a thundercloud of anger and protection.

"You alright?" Daniel asked, his eyes seeking hers immediately. Sophie swallowed and nodded, taking another step backwards.

"I'm fine."

"So…" Daniel said conversationally, even as he pulled Peter's arms a bit tighter behind his back. "This would be Peter, then?"

"Yeah," Sophie confirmed. "This is the fucker who slept around on me, turned me into someone I didn't recognize, and told me I'd never survive without him. Looks like I did okay without his pressure, his coaching, or his millions."

Daniel's eyes widened at her words. Sophie had talked about what a manipulator Peter was, but never said anything about his cheating – or his money.

"Awful to meet you, then," Daniel hissed into Peter's ear. "How about you just run along now, since it's clear Sophie has no desire to see you." He grinned at Sophie, an evil grin. "Or we could just bind and gag you, leave you in the hedgerows to rot."

Sophie wanted to giggle at Daniel's suggestion, but one look at Peter's eye rolling, and she was angry all over again. "What do you want from me, Peter?"

"I want you to come home," Peter replied simply. "And for this oaf to let me go."

Sophie nodded at Daniel, who reluctantly released Peter, who fidgeted with straightening his tie and shaking his shoulders out dramatically. "I'm not coming home," Sophie said, tilting up her chin. "I'm happy here."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"With him?"

Sophie nodded, her smile mocking. "Absolutely."

"Good luck to you, then, MATE," Peter said, practically spitting the last word. "She's a pain in the ass, in case you didn't notice. Headstrong, stupid, co-dependent. You're going to have your hands full."

"Don't mind Peter – he's just overcompensating for various small… faults," Sophie said, unable to stop herself.

"Oh, I'm just an effigy to be defaced, am I?" Peter shot back. "We had good years together, Sophie."

"And now they're over," she said sweetly. "I'm with Daniel now, and I'm happy."

Daniel looked down at Peter like he was a bug to be stepped on. "You've had your say, now sod off. Sophie is none of those things, by the way. She's independent, smart, feisty, and kind. And I'm going to do everything in my power to love and cherish her to make up for all the rotten ways you treated her for years. Now SOD OFF."

Peter puffed up his chest, ready to pounce on Daniel when Sophie stepped between them, a hand on each of their chests. "Alright, girls, tuck them back in. Let's just… let's just end this scene and move on with our lives, yeah?"

Daniel nodded, and took a step back, showing he was done with the macho behavior. Peter remained rooted to the spot, his eyes never leaving Daniel's, but he nodded his assent as well.

Sophie then turned to look at Peter, her face sad. "I'm sorry it ended like this. I wish we hadn't had this scene. It's over, Peter. Really, really over. Good bye."

"So long, Soph," Peter said snidely, turning on his heel and retreating to the car. He roared away moments later, and Sophie found herself collapsing on the front stoop, suddenly unable to breathe.

"Sophie?" Daniel turned and saw her sit squarely on the ground. "What is it?"

"I can't… I can't breathe…" she rasped, her face white. "I can't breathe… I can't believe that just happened, I can't believe I had to face him again… Danny, I can't breathe…"

And with that, Daniel scooped her up in his arms and took her inside to the conservatory, whispering soothing words. "I won't let you fall apart," he whispered, cradling her in his lap until she was finally able to catch her breath again.

"Thank you," Sophie finally whispered. "Thank you for everything that just happened…"

"You're welcome," Daniel replied. "What… what can I do, Sophie? Do you want something to drink?" he paused, looking at her with concern. "Brandy?"

Sophie snickered a bit, shook her head no. "I hate brandy. I just… I just want to stay right here for a while…"

Daniel kissed her eyebrow tenderly, keeping her close to him.

And then he found his own chest tightening.

45002/50000

1 comment:

Jen said...

"Brandy?" That's your Azazeal quote? I'll count it because I like you.

But you don't get points for mentioning binding and gagging someone. You're going to have to tie someone up. Sorry, it's the dare. :)