Chapter Fifteen

"So he actually barked at you about using a Wal-Mart?" Kat asked incredulously. "Just barked about local farmers and didn't explain about why he didn't wave at you? Just got nasty about your shopping habits?"

Sophie nodded with a wry grin. "The ugly American stereotype does follow us around a little here, doesn't it?"

Sophie and Kat were each nursing a coffee and splitting an oversized blueberry muffin, commiserating about the treatment of Sophie at Daniel's hands, and about Kat's seemingly endless singleness. Kat's parents were manning the counter at Hay Coffee and Matt had Belletristic under control for a while, giving them ample time to take a break and get to the root of all their problems – even if they couldn't come up with any viable solutions.

"Well, yes, but still, that was uncalled for," Kat said loyally. "You aren't an ugly American to us anymore – you're becoming one of us. Except for the accent, of course. We'll have to work on that."

Sophie smiled back at Kat's teasing grin. "Thanks, Slave. I appreciate that."

Kat grinned. "No problem, Colonist."

"So what's new with you?" Sophie asked, hoping to steer the conversation elsewhere. She was tired of thinking about Daniel Davies and his poisoned tongue, and instead would rather focus on learning more about her newfound friend.

Kat shrugged. "Oh, you know, still living the high life of a village girl… working, eating, sleeping, and working again. I got a little crazy and went to Hereford the other day – hold on to your hats for that excitement!"

Sophie laughed. "I just can't believe you don't have a boyfriend," she said, thinking of Matt with an inward grin. She could just picture Kat, with her long blonde hair and wide smile, standing next to Matt with his tousled dark hair and shy grin. They were so perfect for each other, and didn't even realize it. Kat was blind to his availability, and Matt was blind to hers – Sophie was just going to have to do something about that.

Kat shrugged again. "One day my prince will come."

"Right now, I don't really want a prince," Sophie said, her words emphatic. "I've had enough boys pushing me around to last a lifetime."

"Really?" Kat asked, intrigued.

Sophie nodded. "But I don't want to think about that, or him. Them, I mean. Not a him. Not a specific him, anyway. Just, you know… them. In general."

Kat watched her, but said nothing as she took a sip of coffee, trying to figure out Sophie's meaning with a buzz of suspicion at a past relationship gone bad.

"I just… I feel lonely here," Sophie continued to fill the pause in conversation. "I mean, I have you, and I have Matt, but…" Sophie shrugged. "Matt works for me, so I think he feels obligated to be nice to me."

"Well, I'm not obligated and I like you," Kat said with a kind smile. "And I very much doubt that Matt has a deceptive bone in his body to just pretend to be nice to you. It's just going to take time for you to meet the villagers, to get to know them. I don't think you are going to end up an old maid with no friends and only forty seven cats for company."

"Now there's an image!" Sophie laughed. "I just… I feel paralyzed here. I've never really been like this before."

"How so?"

Sophie sighed. "I can't drive. I can't use the stove. Hell, I can't even kill a spider on my own without screwing it up. Isn't that pathetic?"

Kat began to interrupt her, but Sophie continued.

"I'm afraid that I'm going to screw up the bookstore. I'm not sure the changes I'm making are for the better, and I'm afraid Auntie Barbara is going to be come back, see what I've done and have me committed. And that would suck."

Kat tried again, but Sophie barreled on.

"And I can't find a place to buy groceries, and I'm really, really hungry when I get home at night. I only have food for another couple of meals, tops." Sophie took a deep breath, blew it out, and looked to Kat for guidance.

Kat looked at her for a long moment, and then laughed gently. "Oh love, you've got too much running around that head of yours. I bet we can solve half those problems in no time, so we can get back to my chronic singleness, which is the REAL issue here."

Sophie laughed gratefully, and then took a sip of coffee as Kat geared up to save the day.

"Matt can teach you to drive – he's really sweet and patient, and would probably do a great job. I'll come over to Fairfields soon to teach you how to use the stove. We'll contract with someone to kill any spiders that may come along so you don't have to and keep them on speed dial. The bookstore is fabulous, and I'm sure the profits are up. There are a lot of great groceries between here and Hereford, we just have to get you there, though they won't compare to a Wal-Mart, from what I'm told. And Auntie Barbara would still love you, even if you burnt Belletristic to the ground, though she may do that lip pursing thing that always kind of scared me." She sat back, triumphant. "Did I cover everything?"

Sophie giggled. "You make it sound so easy."

"It is!" Kat agreed quickly.

"You really think the store is doing okay?" Sophie asked, unsure.

"Yes," Kat agreed.

"You really think I can figure out how to drive on the wrong side of the road?"

"Yes."

"You really think I won't have to kill any more spiders on my own?"

"Yes."

"And you really think I won't starve to death and be found three days later, eaten by wild dogs?"

"Yes!" Kat said, shrieking with laughter. "See? It's all taken care of – easy. But finding a quality man in this town…"

Sophie sat back, a plan formulating in her mind. "You help me with all that you just said, and I'll find you the perfect man. I promise."

Kat looked at her, suspicious. "All right, I'll bite. Deal."

"Deal," Sophie echoed happily.

17534/50000

1 comment: